Monday, April 6, 2015

(Loud whispers) "Are they Jehovah's Witnesses?" "I don't think so.."

Wowza, did you just LOVE General Conference??? I DID. If you didn't get a chance to watch it, today is your lucky day, because you can go back and watch it here! WOOHOO GO WATCH IT 100 TIMES!!!

I really loved how much it talked about the importance of families and how everything is connected to the Atonement.

I loved Linda K. Burton's talk about men and husbands, and the tips she gave for how to make your home a holy place.

I loved when L. Tom Perry talked about the Muslim leader quoting "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" at the Vatican. So cool!

I loved Dale G. Renlund's talk about saints and conversion. A couple quotes that I loved:
"A saint is a sinner who keeps on trying."
"Twas I, but 'tis not I" (in reference to change and conversion)

I loved Brent H. Nielsen's talk about the prodigal son and the lost sheep. We should always be willing to leave the ninety and nine to find the one precious soul who has gone astray. The other day we were parked by a field full of cows. It's calving season, so all the momma cows have their little baby calves by them all the time. They are SO CUTE. That day I was watching this little calf wander around and get distracted by something. Suddenly, it looked around, as if looking for its mom, and realized that he couldn't see her anymore. He FREAKED OUT and mooed and then started frantically running until he found his way back to her. Sometimes people get distracted by things in life. We wander and get totally sidetracked without even realizing that we're getting ourselves lost. After a time, we look around and realize that we no longer know where our safety is. We no longer know where our Savior is. We realize that we are totally and completely lost. But there is always hope! The Savior is always closer to us than we think, and if we just reach out and look, we will always find Him. I love at the end of his talk that he said that we are all the Prodigal Son - All of us are lost and need to be found. So profound.

I loved Elder Holland's talk about the fall and the atonement. "He grabbed me, he held me, and he refused to let me fall."

I just loved everything!!!! This gospel is so true, and we belong to a LIVING church. Isn't that incredible?? The Lord is revealing things to His apostles and prophets each day, who then share that with us. When we listen to the Prophet and Apostles, we are listening to the very things the Savior would share with us if He were here today.

We did have some funny things happen this week though! On Wednesday we went tracting in Gunnison at these apartments where a lot of college students live. We knocked on this one door and a man opened it and he was sooooo high.... Immediately upon opening his door we got a lovely whiff of something that can only be described as burnt dog poop. Mixed with pot and other scents. It was horrific. I thought Sister Pittman was going to gag next to me. We introduced ourselves to the man that was totally out of it and asked him the questions on our survey. As we were talking, his friend came over and went inside the apartment (we were just standing outside). Then the friend (who was also totally high on something strong) leans over to the man who was answering our survey questions and loudly whispers "Are they Jehovah's Witnesses??" after which his friend turned to him and loudly whispered back "I don't think so...." and then they started laughing. So if anyone is familiar with drugs, can you possibly tell me what would smell like burning dog poop? Please and thank you!

I love you all so much. I am so grateful for the opportunity that I've had for this past YEAR(!!!!) to be a missionary, serving the Lord full-time with all my heart, might, mind, and strength. I love my Savior with all my heart and I am so very excited for the day I will get to see Him in person and give Him a big huge hug and a giant THANK YOU for all the things He has done for me. I hope that you can all feel His love each day in your individual lives, and that you share that love with all those around you.

Love,
Sister Koenig

No comments:

Post a Comment