Monday, June 9, 2014

I've been out for 2 months!

That's right people, 2 months ago today Alannah was pushing me out of her car at the Missionary Training Center and she threw my bags out behind me and zoomed off. Rude, right? Ok maybe that's not exactly what happened....but that's what it felt like! And since then, I have been on the weirdest adventure of my life! And I have loved every second J

Last Tuesday morning we got up at 4:45 in order to make it to our Transfer Meeting on time. Every 6 weeks we have transfers, and missionaries get moved around to different areas. Sister O and I weren't transferred, but we are still expected to go to the meeting. It's always really nice - the Mission President and his wife speak and all the missionaries who are going home bear their testimonies, and they announce where everyone will be transferred to. If you're going out to the Western Slope, you have to get up right then and get on the transfer train and leave. One of our favorite Sisters got sent out West and we had to say the fastest goodbye and it was so sad!!! 

Wednesday we had to get up at 4:45 AGAIN so that we could get to the temple. I love the Denver temple!!! It's beautiful. We walked around the grounds and enjoyed the sunrise before we went in. It was lovely. That night we had our Ward Coordination meeting which is with the Ward Mission Leader and his wife and the Elders that are also serving in our Ward. The Elders are in a trio, and two of them are new. One of the old ones was a Zone Leader, but he got moved up to an AP (Assistant to the President) and the other got transferred to a different area. We got a new Zone Leader, and another new missionary, and they seem great!

After the meeting Sister O and I went to see a less-active family - a father and his 12 year old daughter. We had the BEST lesson with them. It was probably the best lesson I've had on my mission. We read from Alma 32 and talked all about faith and what it means to plant the seed of faith in our hearts. You should all read that chapter! It's one of my favorite chapters in the Book of Mormon. (Read it here: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/alma/32)

Thursday we had our District Meeting in the morning (it was a week of meetings, apparently!) and got to meet our new District. Most of the missionaries in our District got transferred out, and we got a brand new greenie missionary as well, so I'm no longer the newbie! Hooray!

We also got to teach a great lesson to an investigator that we met a few weeks ago. We haven't managed to get in to her since we first met her, but we felt like we should stop by and she was home and invited us in. We taught her the first lesson, which is about the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and it went so well. It's amazing to see how the Lord has prepared people before they ever even meet us! She kept saying that she loved the things we were teaching, or always thought they should be that way, and it was really amazing. At the end we kneeled and she said the prayer and it was really powerful. I love being a missionary because moments like that are priceless.

On Friday we saw S! She is the most hilarious woman I have ever met, and she is on date to be baptized on June 22nd! Lately we have been meeting her at the Taste of Denmark bakery to teach her, because it's easier than meeting her at her house. And it's the best bakery in the world, so....I'm certainly not going to pass up an opportunity to eat there! We had a great lesson with her all about baptism and the Holy Ghost and we were able to address some of her concerns. She gave up coffee that day, and as long as she doesn't have coffee or go back to her e-cigarette, she will be on track to be baptized on the 22nd!!!! I'm SO excited for her. She is so ready, and I know she wants it, and I really think this is her time.

We also tracted (knocked doors) for a couple hours and got to teach quite a few people! On our way back to the car we were walking by this house and these people were hosing down a freezer in their garage. We stopped and asked if we could help and they said no, but then the husband came down the driveway and talked to us for like 45 minutes! He was really nice and has had quite an interesting life, and he agreed to let us come teach him more about the church! That's always exciting. Apparently they were hosing out the freezer because some hoarder had been living with them and she filled up the freezer with hundreds of pounds of food and they didn't know, and the freezer got unplugged and everything got moldy. As we were talking to him we kept getting whiffs of the nasty moldy food smell...it was gnarly.

On Saturday we got to see my favorite family!!!! They are the part-member family we see every Sunday night for a couple hours, but we got to go over on Saturday morning to do service. We cleared out their garden and pulled so many weeds and cut tons of trees and branches. It was a ton of fun! I love gardening now - my mind kind of goes blank and I don't have to think about anything except the task at hand. It's very relaxing.

Sunday we got S to drive us to church! And church was great, as usual. We even talked about baptism during our Sunday School class, which was perfect for her. I don't think I can express to you how much I love this woman, or how hilarious she is. She has some pretty colorful language, which is always a riot at church. Everyone thinks she's so funny. And she likes to pretend like she's this tough lady, but she's such a sweetheart :P She would kill me if she knew I said that though! She always says "I'm gonna kick yo butt" hahaha she is the best.

Sunday night we got to see that part-member family again, and we had a great dinner with them and we just had a blast together. We watched the Mormon Message called "Will of God" or something like that. It's about a gardener trimming his currant bush back, and how sometimes God trims us back to help us grow into who He wants us to be. You should all watch it - it's one of the best Mormon Messages I've seen, and you can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr8xvw0cgw0&feature=kp J

Today we have had quite a nice p-day. We went to the World Market and got a bunch of Australian stuff! Apparently "Tim Tams" are a huge thing in Australia (according to Sister O) and we found some! Except they're called Arnott's. But they're delicious! And we did "Tim Tam Slams" which is where you get hot chocolate and take a bite out of opposite corners of a Tim Tam and then suck up the Hot Chocolate through the Tim Tam like a straw, and then eat it....it's hard to explain. But it's delicious! I also got a Mars bar, and a couple other Aussie goodies. Yum J

I love you all dearly! And I love the gospel! I finished reading the Book of Mormon this week and I can testify that it is the most true book on earth, and it will help you come closer to Christ if you read it. I love it! And I love my Savior!

It's true!

I hope you all have the best week! Look for missionary opportunities! And remember, people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. True principle J

Love you all!
Sister Koenig

No comments:

Post a Comment