Monday, August 4, 2014

Hello hello, it’s me again

Ok so a couple people brought it to my attention that I said I didn't have very much time to write, and then I wrote a novel....sorry not sorry haha. I ended up having more time than I thought, and I didn't proofread. YOLO. :P

This week has been pretty dang great. We started teaching these twelve year old twin girls, and they're awesome. They're great grandma is an active member of the church, and their grandma is a completely inactive member, and their mom isn't a member. All of them live in the same house haha. Sister Duprey and I went to their house with the ward Young Women's president and gave them each a Book of Mormon and a Personal Progress book. They were SO excited about it! They were already planning their projects by the time we left :) It was adorable. We'll be going back sometime this week with one of the young women that they know from school, and we'll all do some Personal Progress together. I'm so excited about it!

We also got to see our miracle investigator A who we tracted into a week and a half ago. She and her son are doing AWESOME. They had already started reading the Book of Mormon, and A had the best questions, and we were able to answer all of them. We also told her that any question of the soul could be answered with the Book of Mormon and she was like "Really????" so we had her think of something that was bothering her and we were able to find some great scriptures that totally answered it for her and gave her so much peace. It was fantastic. We are going on a church tour with them tomorrow, and she said they'd go to church next Sunday! I really think she could be baptized this month, it's incredible.

On Thursday we tracted for over 2 hours and had NO success. Almost no one answered, and those who did wouldn't listen to us. It was kind of discouraging! The next day, however, was a miracle. We tracted for less than two hours and were able to teach 7 lessons and get 3 new investigators! I had felt prompted to bring a Chinese Book of Mormon to this Chinese lady we are teaching, and she was on the complete opposite side of our area, but we went anyway. After that, we didn't know where to tract, and Sister Duprey and I were getting different promptings as to what to do...we tried to tract a street and not a single person answered so we went back to the car. We prayed about where we should go, and looked at our map, and picked a street. At the first house, this lady had just walked out of her door and we went up to her and did our survey with her. Somehow it came up that she had been given a Book of Mormon a while back by some missionaries, in Walmart of all places, and she had read 40 pages of it. She was really interested in learning more, and we pulled out the lesson one pamphlet and she looked at it in shock. There is a picture of Christ holding a lamb on the front cover, and she said "I just saw that picture on the internet this morning and I was wondering where it came from and where I could get a copy of it!" It was so crazy. Then I invited her to be baptized, and she said YES!!!!! We haven't put her on date yet, but it was so cool. I've never walked up to a total stranger before and done that! It was neat.

That same day we were able to teach N and B, with one of my favorite members in the ward. B was baptized into the church as a kid but he never went. N is his daughter who lives with him, and she never really knew much about the church, but we've been able to teach her a few times and she is SO interested! We gave her a Book of Mormon and she was so grateful and thought the cross-references to the Bible was the coolest thing ever. AHHH I'm so excited for her. She is so ready for the gospel.

Also my favorite bakery, the Taste of Denmark, finally opened again after a month-long break, so that was fantastic.

We're also teaching this couple from Kenya - they're refugees. They have some crazy stories and they're very smart. We gave them Books of Mormon and they were very interested, so we'll see how that goes! I'm excited to teach them again. The husband has been to many churches, but he said he has never been to an LDS church and he wanted to go to see what it was like.

And we have that investigator from China, who we gave the Chinese Book of Mormon to...oh man this is an awkward situation but I love it. She barely speaks any English, and Sister Duprey and I don't speak any Mandarin (surprise surprise). We found this kid who came home from his mission in Taiwan just 3 weeks ago, and he came to a lesson with us last night. We thought he would translate...but he basically ended up teaching her the whole lesson in Mandarin while Sister Duprey and I smiled and nodded and looked pretty lol. Awkward! She had great questions though, and she had started reading the Book of Mormon and wants to learn more. We'll see her again on Tuesday....and see how it goes. She wants to go to church, but again there is kind of a language barrier haha. I'm not sure what to do about that.

The Lord is amazing, and the work is hastening! I just want to testify that the Book of Mormon is one of the greatest gifts that God has given us. I love that book with all my heart and I read from it and learn from it every single day. You can never read it too many times! I have seen that book change lives, and most importantly I have witnessed it change my life. If you want to know truth, read that book, and pray to your Heavenly Father. Nothing is impossible through Him, and the Book of Mormon is a testimony of that. We've probably placed 15 Books of Mormon this week and every time I bear my testimony of it, it is strengthened and becomes far more powerful. The moment we start talking about the Book of Mormon in a lesson, the Spirit that I feel is undeniable, and I know that it is true. And all of you can know that for yourselves as well.
I love you all and I love being a missionary at this time and in this place. There is a wonderful work to do, and I wake up every day grateful that my Father in Heaven has chosen me to do it.

Love,

Sister Koenig

No comments:

Post a Comment